Tuesday, November 6, 2007

HW 28: "A Open Letter to Riverbend"

Dear Riverbend,

It’s is amazing to hear your story. I’m so used to hearing about the war from the United States perspective and it nice and informative to hear about the war from your perspective. I can’t imagine what you are going through. When I walk down the street I never have to think about what I’m wearing like you do. You said “Now, I don’t dare leave the house in pants. A long skirt and loose shirt (preferably with long sleeves) has become necessary. A girl wearing jeans risks being attacked abducted, or insulted by fundamentalists who have been ..liberated!” (Riverbend, 17) I can’t imagine how hard that must be. I wear jeans everyday and just to think that if I were in Baghdad wearing what I normally wear I could be attacked, that scares me. I also admire that you wanted to go back to work, but you were asked to leave because they didn’t want to be responsible if you got harmed because you’re a woman. That’s just crazy. I also can’t imagine how you live with missiles and bombs going off. Like when you were having the conversation with your brother on the roof and he ask how far away you thought the bullets were and you said “I don’t know… ‘bout a kilometer?” (Riverbend, 11). It’s sad because that’s a short distance away and yet you don’t sound concerned because you live in this war zone and your used to hearing it all the time. I just feel bad that you have to live like this. No one should have to live like you do and you say you have a better life than most woman in your country. I just hope that all this madness ends soon.

Your's Truly,
Steph